11.20.2007

Contemplating 30. My longest post ever?

Well it's here today.

The big three oh.

I had a great weekend with some friends and will be sharing some photos when I get a chance.

I share today's birthday with my sister-in-law, so just I wanna say "HAPPY BIRTHDAY SHEENA!"

Next weekend we're having a party for my daughter who's turning two.

I got my first royalty check as a songwriter yesterday. It was for a small amount, but it has been accumulating since I registered with SOCAN about 4-5 years ago. I thought the timing was appropriate. I spent my entire 20's aspiring to be a successful songwriter and a lot of the work felt like it was going unnoticed and unrewarded, and the day before my 30th birthday, I get this tiny token for my efforts. It sort of served as a reminder of the fact that most of the work I've done didn't have immediate benefits (other than the fact I enjoy it tremendously), and that I should be grateful I had the opportunity to do it in the first place.

I think you sacrifice a lot in the drive toward success in any industry. I'm thankful I never stopped trying and I don't see a stop anytime soon. I think this whole musician thing has cost me over $150,000 - $300,000 in lost income though had I decided to pursue a more traditional occupation. Being self-employed, I've also turned down certain jobs because I wanted to spend the time recording and songwriting rather than working, with the end result meaning less cash-flow in general.

BUT, I don't regret any of it and I feel it all is leading to something great; even if it means never really "making it" in other people's eyes, but simply being at ease with what I can bring to the world in my own little way, and hopefully being remunerated appropriately.

I've had a good run so far, but I have to admit, even the moderate success I've enjoyed this year with some good shows and an album in stores across Canada seems like it could've easily happened a decade ago. I felt ready back then. Now 10 years later, I'm actually glad I never "got signed" or anything when I was that young because I know how gullible I would've been and I think I'd have even less to show for it all than I do now! I still listen to the songs I've written since I was 14 and see a lot of merit in a lot of them. To think I've been performing on stage since I was 14... that's 16 years now. Am I any better than I used to be? Well, I would hope so, but you never know I guess!

Anyway, I'm writing this next part to myself as a 14 year old. That young kid would literally shit his pants if he thought any one of these things would happen to him, let alone all in one year. I just think it could've happened a little sooner, that's all...

********************

February: Gallien-Krueger Endorsement. Gallien-Krueger is the bass amp Flea plays. Nuff said. Oh, and the guys from Tool and Velvet Revolver use 'em too.

Finished recording new songs that would ultimately get released on the album Nucularboy later in the year.

Signed distribution deal for the band with D2/Fontana North/Universal for the album Nucularboy.

February/March: Won 1st place regionally in the Canadian Radiostar Songwriting Contest (flown to Toronto for a showcase at Canadian Music Week).

Played in Toronto.

Met superstar producer Steve Thompson (KORN, Guns and Roses, Tesla, Madonna, Tears for Fears... he recorded Shout, my all time fave Tears for Fears song)

March/April: Won the Kokanee Freeride Contest. Got to play Marmot Basin (outdoor concert in Jasper, Alberta).

April: Opened for Social Code.

July/August: Our CD Nucularboy hit stores across Canada. I was able to personally verify the CDs were on the shelves in Halifax and Toronto. My mom also bought some copies while she was visiting Montreal. Got to play in the West Edmonton Mall HMV.

Licensed song for use in MFC (Maximum Fighting Championship) video.

CD gets a 4 star review (out of five) in The Edmonton Journal. The band was featured twice in the journal in 2 weeks.

September: Opened for Ten Second Epic.

Produced band in my home studio.

October: Our video was played on MuchMusic/MuchLoud. 1st time I've ever appeared on national TV.

Opened for Danko Jones (in front of about 400 people or so).

Played our 3rd SONIC FM 'Band of the Month' show in 2 years.

November: The band hit the the top 20 Modern Rock chart on Garageband.com.

I received my 1st royalty cheque ever!

Producing a band at Powersound Studios.

December: Has yet to be seen....

Keep in mind, all the while the band has been featured constantly on Canadian radio, most notably charting in Winnipeg in the Top 30, and being featured from Victoria, BC to Moncton, NB. The band was also in regular rotation on XM Satellite station The Verge for 7 months.

Also did voice-over work for the MFC throughout the year.

Also featured in several newspapers, did several television appearances, played some shows out of town (Calgary, Grande Prairie, Toronto, Red Deer, Jasper), and did several radio interviews.

****************************

I think the 14 year old me would be giddy. The "now" me sees it all as fun opportunities and great experiences, but only a small portion on the work he wished he could've done in that same span of time, had it not been for the dayjob factor!

I guess I'm thankful to even write anything on that list. Some people would look at that list and laugh I guess, and some would look and be envious. Looking at it in one place like this makes me thankful, but I know how much work needs to get done and I feel like I've just scratched the surface of what needs to happen.

I do feel good knowing that at least something it happening. It's not happening at fast as I'd like, but it's forward momentum.

And I really shouldn't complain.

I also need to add that all this stuff happened because of support from family and friends not just this year, but over the course of my whole adult life.

Some people to deserve special shout-outs to include:

Shanda Holden, my mom, and all my immediate and extended family, including my dad Reg who taught me quite a bit despite our brief time spent together over the years
Eugenio Pacileo
Kevin Kossowan (we honed our songwriting skills together over more than a decade)
Phil Anderson (Owns Powersound Studios)
Eric Anderson (manager/advisor over the years)
Paul Irvine (Entertainment paralegal)
Dulce Barbosa & staff at dB Publicity and Promotions
Randy Wells (Shoreline)
Gene and staff at Gallien-Krueger Bass Amps in California
Every member of every band I've been in, including The Everett LaRoi Band, Turbinado, Cousin Henry, Highway Jones, the cover band with Tavis (who's now in Thornley), Nectar, Spring Heeled Jack, Tribute Penny, and Jamie Kossowan (one of the 1st guys in MSO)
Some Edmonton music industry peeps:
Brent Oliver
Steve Derpack
Tim and staff at the Urban Lounge (sound tech Kevin always does such a great job)
Peter at Windsor Bar and Grill
Mike Diltz
Al at Pawn Shop
Graham Cadell
Park Warden and staff at The Bear
Jason Manning, Al Ford, and all staff at Sonic FM.
CJSR
Leake at XM Satellite
THE FREQ (Winnipeg)
KICK KM (Winnipeg)
Ex-Bear FM DJ Brandon Manitoba (featured the HELL out of Cousin Henry back in the day)
Sandra Sperounes
Amanda Ash
Tom Murray
Any/all music staff at SEE, VUE, The Edmonton Sun, The Edmonton Journal, Avenue Magazine, and all the weeklies that report on music. Oh and the U of A paper The Gateway.
MSO Street Team Members!!
Other bands we've shared the stage with over the years... we've become good friends with Portal and Murder City Sparrows, but every band gets kudos for keeping the music scene alive.
I'll add Social Code, Ten Second Epic, and Tupelo Honey to the list because these guys are all cool and helping Edmonton get noticed by the industry much more than ever before.
Bekki at CityTV
Gord Sheppard (did the very 1st MSO video back in the day)
You have to include the parents of all the band members too I guess - lots of free food over the years.
Can't forget all the friends that have come to all the gigs over the years. GMCC, U of A, and work friends.

I guess that's only a minor list when you think of the 16 years of thanks that need to be given... if you read this and feel you should be added, let me know, I just thought of doing this on a whim so it's all people off the top of my head right now. Just know that if I know you, I'm thanking you for your impact on my life. If I don't know you yet, well let's change that and you'll get on the next list around my 40th or so...

Well - there's my big 30 year old rant.

Hopefully I can add some more stuff to the accomplishments list before the year is through. Oh, is getting my wife pregnant again worth mentioning? That's the little reward for those that read this far... yup, baby #2 is due in June 2008.

Peace!

1 comment:

Kevin Kossowan said...

Happy 'actual' birthday, my friend.