11.13.2007

Mike Watt - still just himself after all these years.

I could see me being like this guy in 20 years if I hadn't got married, and lived on the coast.

http://hootpage.com/

I check out his site fairly often, and I've noticed over the last few years that he just remains so humble - something that I don't know I would be after so much success if I'm being honest. I saw him open for the Chili Peppers in Edmonton a couple years back. He just strikes me as a guy who's comfortable being himself and doesn't fall for any of that Hollywood stuff, although I imagine he "fits in" in Hollywood because he's been around for so long, but isn't the glamorous Hollywood stereotype.

To me he doesn't necessarily look cool. But he IS cool.

And that's cool.

Would love to meet him someday.

Of course I first heard of him in the 90's with his Ball-Hog or Tug-Boat album, so I can't say I was a follower of the minutemen or anything he did pre-grunge. But thanks to the internet, I was able to check out a whole boatload of his stuff over the years, and his blogs about playing with the stooges and stuff, as well as his multiple sunrise photos, etc... he's just a cool cat.

If you are a fan of the bass guitar, and music that's not pretentious, check out Mike Watt!

No comments: