11.14.2007

I'm turning 30 in a week.

According to some conception calendars, if you conceive on Valentine's Day, your due date would be November 20th.

That happens to be the most popular birthday in my family - I share the date with my sister-in-law, an uncle, a cousin. I also have lots of friends who have birthdays the day before or after...

My daughter's birthday is around that time as well.

Now, I actually know I wasn't conceived on the 14th of February. My mom knows it was the 17th. Because she says, and I quote, "I was 15, I didn't do it that often back then."

lol

Anyway, to all you Scorpios, rock on. It's tough being the best Astrological sign isn't it? :)

So I have a milestone birthday coming up. I guess milestone birthdays make you step back and think about where you're at...

Am I where I hoped I would be by 30? Not by a long shot!

Am I disappointed? Thankfully no.

My life has been consistently good because of my family and friends. Sure, there are goals and dreams I have, but I'm still working on them. I haven't given up and I know that the "compromising" I've done over the years all stems from the fact that I WANT to spend more time with my loved ones, and sometimes it's at the expense of my career. But I'll take family and friends over more money any day. And I have that, so what's to be disappointed about?

I guess I've also been blessed with optimism.

Thankfully I never really put any time deadlines on my dreams... otherwise I could see how I would be disappointed if I hadn't achieved certain things by a certain point.

I did have this "notion" that I'd be famous by 30. But I re-evaluated what I wanted and it's not to be famous. It's to be successful doing something I enjoy. Thankfully in some ways I'm there already (my definition of success may vary immensely from yours by the way). Now, being a musician can mean in order to be successful, you need to be famous. Well, thanks to globalization, you can sell enough songs to build yourself a mansion and still be a relative unknown. And thankfully I'd be happy without a mansion. Not that I wouldn't buy one - but my main point is....

I am happy. Any extra STUFF is just STUFF. I can see stuff contributing to me being more at ease but not making me happier than I am already on a consistent basis. All that said - I do really want a lot of new stuff.

So I guess I'll say, "Hey 30. I'm a little surprised you got here so quickly... whassup?"

4 comments:

Kevin Kossowan said...

You've been a blogging machine lately. :)

Soon, you too will become one of us.

Kevin Kossowan said...

And by us, I don't mean avid blogger...by 'us', I mean the 30 club...

Anonymous said...

30? Holy crap! You're old! Happy Birthday from one scorpion to another. (God Bless)

Holden said...

Yeah, the good ol' 30 club...
thankfully 30 is the new 26.

As for the blogging - I got scared of sharing for a while there... I also got lethargic. I'm back with a vengeance though. And now with annoying ads!

Maryann - thanks!